Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Ragweed Nation: What's Next?

It has been a little over a week since the final performance of Cross Canadian Ragweed at Joe's Bar in Chicago. For those of us in attendance, the memories linger while the hangover has faded. I'm still thinking about this show. When you get great music from great musicians, in a great venue with great people, it's one of those rare nights where you know that you're going to be a part of something special.

Now that a week has gone by, there is one question I have for Ragweed Nation, if you'll indulge me for a moment. The question I have is, now that Cross Canadian Ragweed are on hiatus, who do you turn to for your fix? I mean, there is no way that anyone replaces Ragweed, let's get that out of the way right off the bat. But, who do you start to follow? Do you start to gravitate toward another band, such as long-time Ragweed running-mates Reckless Kelly? Or, how about some solo acts related to Ragweed, such as Wade Bowen, Stoney Larue or Mike McClure.? The options are endless, if you think of it.

As I write this, I'm listening to the live stream of 95.9 FM The Ranch from Fort Worth, Texas, sampling all things Texas music. As I've mentioned before, Ragweed music and this Ragweed show helped me discover at least a part of what I was looking for when this musical journey started. Although I couldn't put my finger on it at the time, it hit me like a ton of bricks during the show. What I've been looking for in my musical odyssey is the Red Dirt sound, the Texas music sound. There's nothing out there like it. It's hard to even really describe it. But the feeling that you can get from it can be nothing short of exhilarating.

So, to answer the question on this end, I think I'll gravitate to learning more about the Texas music scene. Right now if I'm picking a group that I'm keeping an eye on, it's Reckless Kelly. If I'm tuning in to a solo act right now, it's tough to argue with Wade Bowen. Very unique sounds from both of these acts. Having said all of that, I'm not limiting myself to anything. I've just discovered what the South has known for years, I'm just set to take it all in. For those listening to mainstream country, trust me folks, the Texas music scene goes a lot deeper than Jack Ingram and Pat Green. While they are both excellent artists in their own right, the well is much deeper. Do check it out, you will thank me, I promise.

As always, I'm open to suggestions. So please readers, if you have any favorites out there, please let me know. Leave a comment on this post and let's help each other out, there's lot's of great music out there for all of us to discover.

If you wish to check out some great sounds from the Texas music scene, log on to the following sites:

95.9, The Ranch, Fort Worth, Texas
www.959theranch..com

KNBT-FM, 92.1, New Braunfels, Texas
www.knbt.fm


No comments:

Post a Comment